Stories Worth Telling

“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.”

I have always enjoyed a good story. Both reading and telling. There is such an enjoyment in how words can be linked together to move people, to allow them to feel something deeply. Team conversations with the project leaders this morning lead to the sharing of such stories. Many stories of hope, many stories of tragedy, and how all these stories have lead up to be where the project is today. One is already moved by hearing how they used where they came from and what they’ve experienced to reach people and uplift them. That a boy who grows up in São Paulo, Brazil grew up to be a man who leads a project in Brazil, Ethiopia, and now India to reach the poorest and use education as a means to break the chain of poverty. The stories of the kids who have been there from when it started 20 years ago and where they are now. Incredible stories that need to be told.

My closest friends and family will know that I love reading, that I can escape in a book for hours and enter the world the author has created for me. But also, I love to tell stories. My upbringing hasn’t been the most normal one, but I’m grateful for the experiences it’s given me. I also have gained so many stories from my one year living overseas, after a life with parents in missions and then trying to figure my life in Europe out. My experiences have been ones of joy, heartbreak, pain, excitement... all ones that fully enveloped me. They’ve all been little puzzle pieces that have formed the story of me. I can never simply tell a story, I always have to give a backstory and context. This may seem like sidetracking, but I at least like to think it creates the feeling and atmosphere. At the end of the day, I will finally get to the point and hopefully had been able to pass on the little anecdote I had wanted to share.

A dream started stirring in my heart when Marciano spoke about his stories and the stories of the children he had worked with. These are stories that need to be told and shared. Marciano also wanted us to see the daily lives and stories of those who are living in Calcutta. My heart has been broken in the most beautiful way. I knew it would be. I am someone who tends to be deeply moved by what I see and the stories I hear. I am grateful for the empathic heart I carry, but it has taken me a while to understand that it’s a strength and not a weakness. Also to realise how far to carry one’s story before it becomes a burden that can weigh me down to the point that I feel hopeless. I hope to be moved and stirred to always do more, and realise the privileges I have, the pain I’ve experienced to keep me empathetic and to use the voice I have for the voiceless.

India is in short extremely intense. Calcutta has many stories to tell. From the red light district to the hospices, and the to the Mother Teresa children’s home, the stories held in the eyes of people I have seen today. I wish to tell their stories to the world, even if just one, even if it only reaches one.

“Once you start recognizing the truth of your story, finish the story. It happened but you're still here, you're still capable, powerful, you're not your circumstance. It happened and you made it through. You're still fully equipped with every single tool you need to fulfil your purpose.“

Piece by little piece I hope to share more of my story and the stories of those I meet, and all those still to come. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Wonder

A Wounded Healer